Sorry for the slow/once a week updates. Our days have gotten more hectic, and it’s hard to find time to sit down and write about it. Also, I discovered that my iPod had been totaled earlier this week, so I haven’t been able to take any photos.
Yesterday, we had our first run-through. It was extremely successful, and timed in around and hour and a half without music. All of the students have about 98% of their lines memorized, and I’m sure that they will be at 100% for the show. The other interns who haven’t seen the play were impressed with all of the work the kids have done. Today we’ll be working out all of the kinks in monologues and certain scenes, as well as having another run through.
There would be more pictures from our days, but I have found that it is rather difficult to take pictures while the students run scenes because of the lovely “click’ sound my iPod makes when I take a photo. When the students hear this sound, they stop whatever they were doing and look at me like a deer in head lights. The look in their eyes ask, “Did you just take a picture of me? Why did you do that?” Though thanks to Julie, who figured out how to turn the sound off, I can now take more pictures while the students run scenes, without them being distracted by a “click” sound.
Today started with rain, which diminished any of my hopes to have rehearsal outside. After practicing scenes yesterday, Grace and I had hoped that the weather would hold out so that we could rehearse the scenes with the actual blocks we will use in the production. Hopefully we’ll have a couple of nice days next week. So far, this week has run pretty smoothly. Monday began with a full read through of the play, followed by some games. Tuesday we blocked the first two acts of the play, two of which were scenes that Julie and I directed. On Wednesday, act three was blocked and Kay and Starla worked on fairy hair styles. Yesterday, we blocked act four then ran the first half of the show. As we’ve been running scenes, Kay and Starla have been working on the hair styles for the fairies and finalizing their make-ups. Ryan has been hard at work getting the costumes together, and hopefully we’ll be able to have a costume line up this afternoon.
We’re planning to finish blocking the play today, act five, scene one. At the same time, some of the students who will be playing music in the show will be practicing their pieces. This morning, Julie and I got to hear Jacob play the cello, and we were very impressed. I’m excited to hear the other songs that will be featured in the play. Next week will probably start with a full run through and then some monologue work.